I've decided to record my adventures in this blog so that my family and friends can keep track of me. Especially during my trip around the world on Semester At Sea.

The Itinerary:
I depart Jersey on 8/28/08 bound for Nassuau, Bahamas, and embark on my voyage around the world on 8/29/08. The voyage concludes on 12/14/08 and will dock in Miami, FL. From there I will head to Orlando, FL until 12/18/08 to visit with my Disney Family and then return home to NJ
.

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

South Africa...

Here are the highlights of South Africa in 5 pictures...



Here is a view of the famous Table Mountain! It truly dominated the horizon and was incredible!

After about an hour and a half hike up the mountain, this is the incredible view!

On one of the days we were in Cape Town, I did a volunteer trip to assist a Non-profit organization called Operation Hunger. Our task for the day was to weigh and chart all of the kids in a particular school. The reason behind doing this is because soup kitchens in the area have requested funding from the organization, and the way they determine who gets the funds is by analyzing the kids in the schools in their area. Essentially, if the majority of the children are borderline malnourished, the soup kitchen gets money.


This is me at Cape Point, the location that claims to be the southern most point of Africa. Either way, it was beautiful!

I know it is a little hard to see, but I was too busy recording to take pictures. If you squint real hard, you can see Archbishop Desmond Tutu in the center of the photo. He's wearing all black and you can barely see his white hair, but he's there - I promise! Anyway, I was one of the fortunate ones who was around when we received word that he was going to stop by for a brief, half hour lecture. (He his a big supporter of the program and has even sailed on two voyages!) His speech was amazing! I am so happy I was able to see him speak, it was just so genuine and heartfelt!

No comments: